Monday, May 7, 2007

Language Fun

I was watching Pirates of the Caribbean today. I borrowed it from a friend and while the movie is in English, it has Macedonian subtitles. I was reading the Macedonian subtitles, and watching the movie when a subtitle came up that I could not help but laugh at.

Any time you watch a pirate movie you always here "pirate lingo", such as "Ahoy matie", "Davie Jones's locker" and "shiver me timbers". Such is the case with Pirates of the Caribbean. All the pirates agree to board the ship and go after the Pearl and rescue Elizabeth. Shouting "Aye" they turn and prepare to leave. The Macedonia subtitles during this part read "Jac" which means the pronoun I. While the words "Aye" and "I" sound the same, they are not. Instead of translating "Aye" it to yes or Ok, it was translated into "I". Any time I see a pirate movie I will always remember to shout "Jac/I" instead of "Aye".

No comments: