Wednesday, June 18, 2008


Sitting in a fast food restaurant for dinner I noticed something, single people read when they eat. Staying in Milwaukee for the night for a class the next day, I went out to eat dinner. Sitting at the table alone eating, I pulled out my book to read. Turning the page I looked around the restaurant. In front of me a single guy was reading the paper, behind me an older gentleman was reading a book. Now my question is why? Why do single people eating in a restaurant read? Is it to make it less awkward for them? Possibly to avoid looking around and being noticeably alone? I think it is to avoid or fill the void of conversation that normally is there. Instead of talking to someone else who is obviously not there, we read.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I read when I'm by myself at a restaurant. I think you're right, it fills the conversation void. Hope your class is good - see you tomorrow.