Sunday, March 4, 2012

Getting Crunchy??

CRUNCHY: Adjective. Used to describe persons who have adjusted or altered their lifestyle for environmental reasons. Crunchy persons tend to be politically strongly left-leaning and may be additionally but not exclusively categorized as vegetarians, vegans, eco-tarians, conservationists, environmentalists, neo-hippies, tree huggers, nature enthusiasts, etc.

Okay, maybe I don't quite fit the description above of someone who is crunchy. Although I do use cloth shopping bags. When it comes to motherhood and parenting being crunchy means you may have a med-free home birth, cloth diaper, exclusively breastfeed, babywear, co-sleep, make your own baby food, and the like. As I read this list I realized I've done or am doing three (fourish) of the six things listed. Does that mean I'm only half crunchy? I've even been considering some of the other things listed with the next baby (babywearing, maybe).

While many people who are crunchy do these things for environmental reasons, I'm a little more selfish. I cloth diaper, breast feed, and made my own baby food for financial reasons; they are all cheaper than the alternative. I've also recently decided to start using cloth wipes. While wipes don't cost much it's still a way to save money since Michael and I are planning on having two or three more children besides Patrick. It won't cost anymore to wash since you toss them in with the diapers.



I'm not sold on co-sleeping in the way most people think of co-sleeping; baby in the bed with us. I tried it once and didn't sleep well at all. Michael moves around way to much at night for me to be comfortable with this. I do have a bassinet that I used with Patrick so he was right beside the bed (some consider this co-sleeping). I will do that again for sure. As for the babywearing, Patrick didn't like the sling. He preferred to be on the floor so he could move around or in his bouncy horse. I may try something else with the next baby. I've heard good things about Boba Baby Wrap Carrier, so I may try that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait, you made your own baby???? That's amazing! :)

Kimberly said...

Baby food; now I'm embarrassed.