Thursday, January 12, 2012

House Hunting 102

Next lesson in buying a home, set a maximum and stick to it. We've set a maximum that we are comfortable with but are having a hard time staying there. The biggest problem is that prices are negotiable so we've looked at a few homes above our limit hoping to get a lower price that is in our budget. This makes me a little uncomfortable since there is no guarantee that the owner will go as low as we need them too. Do homeowners usually accept offer $20k less?

I have two favorites of the homes that we have visited. One is right in our range but needs some work done which then adds to the cost. It is very close to Michael's grandparents, only about 2 blocks away, which I like. The other is older and very large, definitely has space to grow into as the family grows. It's about $20k more but doesn't really need anything besides personal touches which any home would need. Both homes will need appliances so tomorrow I'm window shopping to see what I like and how much I will need to save. We do have another 6-7 homes we would like to see. We plan to re-look at our favorite homes all in one day and then make a decision. This is still a few weeks away, and I don't want to rush into anything.

No comments: