Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Are you part of the remnant?

In our world today, there are many who claim themselves to be Christians, though many are so in name only. I have been reminded of this the past week in the class I am taking at the UW-Whitewater. Some of my classmates claim to be Christians, and yet by the stories they tell of their weekends and summer I have my doubts. They seek the pleasures of this work and not God. They serve themselves and only attend church on holidays and never open the Bible. Then while reading in Romans I stumbled upon one of my favorite verses. Paul wrote in Romans 11:5 "Even so then, at this present time there is a remnant according to the election of grace." Paul was referring to the time that Elijah was complaining to God that he was the only prophet and follower of God left. God's rebuttal, there were seven thousand who still believed and had not bowed to Baal. Just as in Paul and Elijah's time, there were those who claim something in name but not in deed or action. Yet, God's remnant remains. He always has those who believe and follow His ways. He is never without those who truly believe. A comforting thought went you are surrounded by those who don't believe at work or school.

No comments: