Thursday, September 4, 2008

First week of long-term subbing in Kindergarten

Well my first week as a long term sub for Kindergarten has gone pretty well over all. I did have a few things to work with and iron out. I have never felt more behind, unorganized, and unprepared than this week. While most teachers have a week to get their rooms in order, decorated, and prepared for the first day I got 1 1/2. Only 1 1/2 days to prepare for the first day of school. Talk about prioritizing and only doing the main things that had to be done. From the moment I stepped into the classroom, I worked non-stop getting things ready and trying to figure out what to do in kindergarten. I'm certified to teach 1st through 8th grade, so I feel a little out of my league in kindergarten. I want to make a good impression, especially since this is not in my certification. I want the school to think "If she is this good in an area she is not certified in, imagine how good she will be in a certified area." At least that is my hope.
The days went fast and I kept busy trying to keep ahead of the days and catching up on work that I needed to get done. I have 13 children in my class. They were very well behaved for the most part this whole week. I did have a child cry everyday, a different child, but still everyday someone cried. I'm looking forward to seeing what is ahead for the next 11 weeks that I am in this classroom.

No comments: