Friday, January 21, 2011

Patrick Michael's Birth Story



People have been wanting to hear about our little bundle of joy. Patrick Michael Bohlman was born on January 17th, 2011 at 6:37 pm. He is 19 3/4 inches long and weighed 8 lbs 2 ozs. We've decided he has momma's nose, daddy's chin and long toes. All the dark hair, well, he got that from both of us.

Early Monday morning I awoke with what I thought was a braxton hicks contraction. I got up to use the restroom when I felt a trickle run down my leg. My first thought was either I peed myself or my water broke. After using the restroom, I stood to leave and felt more of a trickle and then a dripping sensation. Sure enough, my water had broken. Since I wasn't having consitent contractions, I tried to get some more sleep before heading to the hospital. We arrived at the hospital around 5:30 am and were admitted.

My contractions began to come in regular intervals and increasing strength as the day progresses. Michael and I watched TV and played a game of cribbage. As the contractions got stronger, I began to focus on breathing and nothing else. My goal was to have a natural birth with no medications. I wasn't against having a pain killer to help take the edge off if I needed later, but I did not want to have an epidural. By around 4 pm, my contractions were strong enough that I took some meds to help take the edge off the contractions, but I could still feel them very strongly.

At around 6 that evening, I began to push. Towards the end I was pushing so hard that I broke some of the capillaries in my face and shoulders. I looked as though I had red blotched all over. My eyes were even blood shot. I pushed until Patrick was born at 6:37. I was able to hold him right away and bond for a while before they took him for all his measurements and tests. Michael was able to watch as Patrick was born and he then cut the cord. We then took our first family photo. Do you think I look tired?

No comments: