Sunday, April 10, 2011

Wonderful Routines

It is amazing what a routine does for a baby. His is happy and sleeps well when we follow the same routine each day. The days the routine is thrown completely off are day that Patrick seems to be the most fussy. I am flexible with the routine, time wise. I want Patrick to be easy to take places and do things with, so I try to keep things the same no matter where we are. He does very well with just about anything we do. Our routine is very simple: eat, play, and then nap time. Lately his play time has gotten longer. He babbles, tries to roll over, studies his hands, and watches his hanging toys and mobil.

The hardest thing for him is to sleep when we are on the go. I think there is so much going on that he is staying awake to take it all in. I get him to sleep when driving, but once we get there, he wakes up. Even at church we will sleep for about 30 minutes during the sermon and then wake up. At home he will sleep for an hour or more. Maybe it's being in his crib that does it, but I like to think it is the routine that helps him so much. When I put him down for his naps I put a blanket over him, give him a pacifier (if he takes it) and turn on his music. 5 minutes later, he is asleep. Very simple, but it works each time.

No comments: