Sunday, April 29, 2012

Moving Day Fiasco

Nothing goes right for Michael and I. When we were dating we had mishaps and adventures . We took a canoe trip were we had a leaky canoe I had to bail out half the trip. The other half the trip consisted of a thunderstorm. There was the date were the window washing fluid was frozen and trucks were throwing stuff on the windshield that we couldn't wipe off. Enter the water bottle and me hanging out the window to dump it on the windshield. Not even our wedding was safe. Our pastor some how lost our vows. So it came as no surprise to us that moving day would have its adventure.
It all started with reserving a U haul on line. We got the confirmation e-mail and then thought nothing about it. Michael and my father-in-law Ron went to pick up the U Haul in Beaver Dam. While there the man said that no reservation could be found. They called about 10 minutes after they got back and said that they had found our reservation . . . in Watertown, 20+ miles away. They also tell us that they tried to call the number given to them to tell us this. The number given was my cell; all week I have been getting calls that when I answer results in my saying hello about 10 times before I hang up because there was no one on another line. If a company had to tell you about your moving truck being 20+ miles away there had better be a person calling you, not some automated message that never plays.
We needed the truck; no way to get around that. My sister and her husband, Mike, took the two boys and went to Watertown to get it. About 30 minutes later Mike calls to say that the U Haul people are only giving us 1 day, not a problem, and 39 miles with the truck. Most of those miles would be used just getting the truck to Beaver Dam. There was no way I was going to pay overage miles because they couldn't get the truck to the right place. Then, they wouldn't allow anybody but Michael or I to pick the truck up. I'm not driving 20+ miles leaving everybody at the apartment trying to figure out what need to go were. So, we cancelled the truck.
I knew that Taylor Rentals in Beaver Dam always had Penske trucks sitting in their parking lot. My mother and I drove there and I walked in asked for a truck and walked out with one in 20 minutes. Needless to say: NEVER USING U HAUL EVER.

No comments: