Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Quilting Fail


Well, not exactly a fail, but not my normal success with quilting.  This was my first large quilt, so I shouldn't be to surprised.

I decided to make Patrick a quilt for his big boy room.  I couldn't find one that I liked, they were either too babyish or too "big boyish".  I wanted something that would work now but also grow with him.  He loved trucks, cars, airplanes, trains, . . . really anything that moves; so I found some fabric that had all kinds of transportation on it.  Until this point I could only find just cars, or just trains, or just construction.  I spent more than I wanted to on the fabric.

I did some quick drawings of what I wanted and then started to piece together the quilt.  It has 12 squares with a vehicle of some kind in each.  The piecing of the squares was the easy part as well as adding the border.  This is were I started to run into problems.

My machine is to small the quilt the twin sized quilt I made.   I gave it a try but it was bunching and wrinkling.  It looked terrible.  So I spent the next two evenings with a seam riper taking out what I did.  I looked into renting one of those large quilting machines but couldn't justify $120 to get certified and then $20-30 a hour to rent it.  I ended up using some colorful buttons to do the "tie comforter"  look instead.  Not by favorite but it works.

Once finished I washed the whole thing, like I always do.  BIG MISTAKE!  The quilting fabric pulled and bunched in the wash.  It also pulled the quilt squares and made some of the seams come undone.  I had to do some quick repairs in the small areas.  Unfortunately, the airplane (the first square I did) was pretty much ruined.  I had to completely redo it.  I didn't have the same blue anymore and didn't want to  spend more money (I already spent way more than I should have) to buy the same color fabric again.  I had a lighter blue that I used, so the airplane looks a little funny.  Light blue next to the airplane and then darker blue all round that.

The curtains look good though.  No problem with those.

No comments: