Sunday, July 3, 2011

Thank You Grandpa for the 4th of July

A distant cousin was in Wisconsin doing some genealogy research and stopped by to visit. We talked for a while and he asked me if I know any stories about the family. I know a few stories, mostly from my grandparents and a few tidbits from ancestors. This got me thinking about one story in particular. An ancestor and his brother were fighting for America during the Revolutionary War. They were both taken captive and sent to a prison ship in a harbor. My ancestor, Isaac, was a mason as well as the prison guard. Because of this tie, the guard allowed Isaac to slip overboard and escape. His brother didn't and ended up dying on the ship. How much of this is true, I've yet to discover, but this is the reason we celebrate the 4th. People gave their lives to ensure our freedom. They committed treason in hopes of a better government and world. They fought to be free of Great Britain's rule, to make their own laws, to be a part of the government that would rule over them.

Both of my grandfathers served during WWII. One is the European theater (Army) and the other in the Pacific (Navy). Neither one ever talked about their experiences and what I know I've learned from my parents and grandmother. I know they both saw a lot of horrible things, things they wished to forget. They endured these horrible things to ensure our freedom and the freedom of others. They are just a few of the many who have given us our freedom. So, as you celebrate the 4th of July, remember those, past and present, who fought for the freedom we have.

No comments: