Friday, November 18, 2011

Expert Parenting Advice? Leave Me Alone!

It seems that everywhere I turn there is some new study that tells me what to do to be a "better" parent. The problem is one week I read one thing and the next week it is a study the shows or "proves" just the opposite. When Patrick was only a few months old I decided to stop reading all books, websites, and articles that told me what to do or what to not do. I mostly did this for my own sanity. I was starting to focus on what I wasn't doing or what I had done that I just read was a no-no. Needless to say I causing myself a lot of extra stress I didn't need.

Now I just read from my book "What to Expect the First Year" when I have a question about something. Usually it's just to check on certain milestones or symptoms. If I was going to survive being a parent then I needed to focus on my child and do what I thought was best. I have to live with the decisions that I make on how to raise my children. I'm not going to stress my-self out about what I should or should not be doing or constantly second guessing my parenting choices.

No comments: